Monday, July 18, 2011

Lessons in pointless literary technique



Necklace: Anthro
Dress as top: Boden
Skirt: JCPenney
Wedges: Target
Fingers: China Glaze Fly



Being a Latin major (That's right. A Latin major.) afforded me many opportunities to learn about literary devices, through epic poetry and prose, and now I use my studies exactly 1% of the time in real life--I'm currently using literary device names as passwords at work. Last month was aposiopesis, which is used famously (not that famously) in The Aeneid, book one, when Neptune catches Aeolus acting a fool and yells at him, ending with a classy "why I oughtta" before trailing off. That's aposiopesis--an unfinished phrase or statement, mentally filled in by the reader.



There's also something called a cut-up technique, which is basically like magnetic poetry, but with sentences instead of words. It's rearranging text to make it new text with a different meaning (let's talk haecceity sometime!). Which is exactly what I did with my Latin major--I rearranged it into a top, and you didn't even notice because this is only the second time I've worn it in my 30 for 30. Are you confused yet? It's cool, I was confused when I majored in wearing this dress. You'll get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment