Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Seeing spots and lines and other shapes



Necklace: gift from parents
Top: JCPenney
Skirt: JCPenney
Wedges: Pink Studio



Everybody, Everywear | Pattern MixingI'm going to say two words that might scare the daylights out of you.

Pattern mixing.

Today is EBEW's pattern mixing day, which is a concept near and dear to me--I tend to be obnoxiously fearless when it comes to pattern mixing, which can be both good and bad. But over time, I've come up with a patented* list of tips and tricks that have helped me make the most of pattern mixing, and maybe they can help you too!



Start small. There's nothing wrong with tiny pattern mixing. Wear two patterned scarves, or maybe mix a patterned belt with a patterned top. If you combine an accessory with a piece of clothing, you can remove the accessory if you change your mind partway through the day.

Nervous? Play with texture and pattern instead. Pattern doesn't always mean print. Lace tights, appliques, and geometric necklaces and belts all have pattern in them. Try a crocheted cardigan with a striped skirt.

Stay in one colour palette to start. There's a piece of advice about pattern mixing I've followed from day one, and it's compliments of Clinton and Stacy: patterns can differ when they're in the same colour family. Black and white top? Black pinstripe pants? Do it! As you begin to feel more comfortable, try neutral patterns together, then branch out to more colour.

Different patterns are okay, but so are ones in the same. For a long time I thought different sizes of polka dot were a Real Bad Idea, but since then I've changed my mind. But polka dots can also be awesome with stripes, floral and paisley. Don't lock yourself in just because they're the same kind of pattern.

Items with a touch of pattern are gems. This cardigan is so versatile because it isn't all over pattern, and it works with more items because instead of being overwhelming, it's a subtle compliment to other patterns. I also have a cardigan with flowers in the armpits which is awesome for the same reason.

When all else fails, just do it. Some of my favourite pattern mixing outfits have been remarked upon as fashion flubs. But I liked them, so I consider them successes. I always go with Wikipedia's advice to editors, which is "be bold", when considering pattern mixing. Because really, what do I have to lose? Followers? Haha right you're all already finely attuned to my penchant for pattern mixing.

So go forth and mix! And as always, if you have questions, email me or comment. I'm here to help!



*not patented

No comments:

Post a Comment