Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Preening habits



Scarves: Target & Walmart
Shirt: work
Jeans: American Eagle
Flats: Toms



Last night, though the one and only Pinterest, I found a Tumblr called Curly Hair Problems. Now, by no means is my hair kinky or even curly (apparently I am a 2C according to this method), but I found myself actively relating to a lot of the entries, including "Your hair takes 3 or 4 hours to dry completely", "After trying to control it for years, you just give up", and the ever embarrassing but entirely true "Dreadlocks".



Tops: Target
Jeans: Walmart
Boots: Target



Yesterday, I washed my hair and popped a couple bobby pins in place, and I was fairly certain it looked exactly the same as it always does. Apparently I was wrong, though, because st least six people asked me how my hair looked different, that it looked good that way, etc. There's a lot of power behind complimenting my hair (as opposed to my style or my skin, how I walk, whatever) because I really feel like I have no control over it most of the time. Although I know I have amazing hair--and I've been stopped on the street and salons have been asked for the scraps from a haircut--I also know that it is extremely difficult to train, to adjust, or to force into a certain hairdo. My hair takes offense at what I ask it to do sometimes, so those few days where people say it looks amazing and I actually made a slight effort to fight it? Well, I consider those some really good days.

No comments:

Post a Comment