Thursday, September 12, 2013

How the west was lost









Top: J.Crew Factory | Skirt: Talbots | Sandals: Ross? | Pin: borrowed from my dad

This skirt is just American enough for me to remember 9/11 but not American enough for me to be Toby Keith about it. September 11th seems to have fallen off the face of importance already, but when I think "already", I remember that it was twelve years ago and in the world, twelve years ago is enough to leave almost anything by the wayside. I feel like my age was of large import regarding my staunch memory of 9/11--I was 15 and it was my first time encountering anything bad and I didn't know what came next, the same way that when Pope John Paul II died I didn't know what going to happen. Wars and white smoke are apparently what happened. But September 11th was an odd awakening for me, and terribly enough, I was better off for it. The delicacy of the world was shattered before I actually had to enter it, and that was kind of a good thing, at least for me. Not for humanity, though. That's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment