Thursday, October 31, 2013

Final decision



Click for large.

After this post, I decided to try a slightly different approach for my portfolio headshot to see if I could come up with something more creative, and that offers both more personality and more clarity as to who I am & what I do. So I got my new glasses and decided to try displaying some books, but in a clever way. This is the result. My boss was truly amazing and took the pictures for me, so I could focus on balancing this stack on my head. I cannot say that this would have ended well had I been using a remote! I'm really happy with this picture, and very excited that it turned out as well as it did. This photo may seem typically librarian-y, but from what I've found, I'm one of the few students graduating in December with any interest in working with adults in public libraries. Also, I sure as hell ain't shushing anyone, so there's that.

For those wondering, the books on my head, from top to bottom, are:

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell: I've never read this book, but I thought it was apt to have it on the top of a pile of books on my head. Gladwell is a very attractive author for readers who want to learn about social sciences but don't want anything aggressively over their heads.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple: Only a handful of books have been able to make me laugh like this one did. A favourite RA go-to book for anyone looking for a smart laugh.

To America with Love by A. A. Gill: Another book I haven't read, but I wanted to include a more recent nonfiction book and Gill writes about United States minutia that fascinates a lot of readers. Great for Americana fans.

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach: Hands down one of my favourite books of all time. I read it every October. Great for an intelligent reader, readers who like dysfunctional families and dramas, and strongly character-driven books.

The Influencing Machine: Brooke Gladstone on the Media by Brooke Gladstone and Josh Neufeld: An excellent graphic novel about the history of media and how the industry has had a lasting influence on society. Graphic novels are excellent for reluctant readers, and a couple of the guys have really enjoyed this one. Also good for teens in civics classes.

I plan to include the information listed above--or at least the titles and authors--with the photo that will be the opening page of my portfolio. I think it adds another touch of personality to have that info there instead of leaving the reader curious but straining to see the titles of some of the books.

Also: what's up new glasses!

No comments:

Post a Comment